Uh.
Well.
It was a lot to take in, even with the repeated readings of each chapter, I still found myself getting confused by some of the terms in the reading.
In one experiment, using a radio scanner, Mr. Dunne maps the spaces emitted by 'objects that dream', such as baby intercoms, electronic bugs, and cordless phones. All of these objects invisibly leak their information out past their boundaries of buildings, and into Dunne's moving car. Dunne scans neighborhoods from the streets and electromagnetic fields are measured and mapped for their 'dreaminess'.I felt a spark of inspiration as I came to better understand how the world of electromagnetic waves shape my everyday life, even if I'm not aware of them.
The world of electronics and the world of science stand toe and toe, and that, to me, is fascinating.
Come part two of the reading, I was somewhat freaked out by by the seemingly endless capabilities of modern day electronics. The touch responsive art piece of Peter Stathis's Satori TV turns its head towards you when touched. It's an example of how even every day objects like TV and radio can be manipulated into being more human like. And if you don't think that's awesome, then I'm sorry, you must be a boring person.
I am left with one lingering question that has been gnawing at me, how much longer until WE become the entertainment for the technology? How much longer until there's a family of androids gathered around a cage to watch the latest 'Battle Humans', jeering and leering as we flail helplessly against each other.
I feel like it might be closer and sooner than I am comfortable with.
No comments:
Post a Comment